Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (stylised as DiRT 2) is the seventh racing game of the Colin McRae Rally series. It was released in September 2009 for PlayStation 3 and Portable, Nintendo Wii and DS, and Xbox 360, and December 2009 for Microsoft Windows. A Mac version followed later by Feral Interactive. It was announced on 19th November 2008 and features Ken Block, Travis Pastrana, Tanner Foust, Dave Mirra, Mohammed Ben Sulayem, and fictional drivers Katie Justice and Jayde Taylor.
Description[edit | edit source]
The game includes many new race events, including the mainly stadium-based X-Games. Along with the player, an RV travels from one event to another, and serves as "headquarters" for the player.
The game features a roster of contemporary off-road events, taking players to diverse and challenging real-world environments. The game takes place across four continents: Asia, Europe, Africa and North America. The game includes five different event types: Rally, Rallycross, Trailblazer, Land Rush and Raid.
The "DiRT Tour" mode sees players competing in multi-car and solo races at new locations, and also includes a new multiplayer mode. There are 8 different countries, including USA (Utah and LA), Mexico, United Kingdom (London), Croatia, Morocco, Japan, Malaysia, and China.
Drivers[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Colin McRae: DiRT 2/Drivers
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Colin McRae: DiRT 2/Locations
Colin McRae DiRT 2 hosts nine unique race locations across the world. All courses are fictional.
Soundtrack[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Colin McRae: DiRT 2/Soundtrack
Vehicles[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Colin McRae: DiRT 2/Vehicles
Colin McRae: DiRT 2's car list ranges from production-based stage rally cars, to fully custom desert racing machinery.
All purchasable Rally vehicles can be modified to compete in Rallycross and Trailblazer events.
Colin McRae Challenge[edit | edit source]
The Colin McRae Challenge is a special event that unlocks near the end of the game. There are three races in the tour, visiting China, Croatia and Malaysia. All drivers will use the Ford Escort Mk II. What is notable about this challenge is that the regular mix of drivers has been replaced by those of majorly Scottish descent, such as members of Colin McRae's family and current racing drivers hailing from the same country such as David Coulthard and Dario Franchitti. These competitors only appear in this event, and they are listed below:
- Jimmy McRae - father of Colin, five times British Rally Champion
- Alister McRae - brother of Colin, 1995 British Rally Champion, and 2011 Asia-Pacific Rally Champion
- Ari Vatanen - legendary WRC champion
- David Coulthard - former Formula 1 driver and close friend, wore a special dedication helmet at the 2007 Japanese GP at Suzuka
- Valentino Rossi - aka 'The Doctor', one of the most successful bike racers ever, and occasional rally driver, who famously raced against Colin at the 2005 Monza Rally Show
- Dario Franchitti - Scottish IndyCar driver, the most successful British driver in America, and friend of Colin